Sunday, January 23, 2011

[Sketch #25 - Heron]


So, I bought some Aquaboards by Ampersand some time ago, and did a little test painting on one of them. This was like, a day project, so its not the best thing I ever painted...

Great Blue Herons are all over the place down here, along with snowy egrets and a huge assortment of other large birdies. I might paint more in the future, senor Audubon style, but probably not. I'm actually drawn to this bird because its become the mascot for Devour Them. Herons. Interesting birds. Yay for watercolor!

I finished rendering Brock Sampson today. Maybe Dr. Venture next. More to come.

"In matters of the heart
One must try to fill it up
With love and grace you'll start a fire
Immerse old wounds and douse them out
Pick your heart up off the floor
Hold it gently now and go
To the place you were meant to know." -Spinnerette (Baptized by Fire)

3 comments:

  1. I think this is really great for a day painting! It is good to try and force ourselves to get something done in a small amount of time because it will force us to be loose.

    Now I don't think I have heard of Aquaboards. Is it a type of illustration board?

    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jaime. :) I agree it's a good practice to try and get something finished in a small amount of time.

    Aquaboards are Masonite panels that have been treated with a surface on one side to act like cold press water color paper. They're pretty nifty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I think I have seen them before. I think I might have seen some at Michaels at one time. If not there probably United Art and Education. I should try one out sometime!

    ReplyDelete